Sunday, October 27, 2013

Make Your Own Tablet Case for $9!


Inspired by this tutorial on One Shabby Chick that I pinned awhile ago, I decided to make my own case for my tablet. I followed the tutorial pretty closely, but I used only two pieces of fabric instead of sewing scraps together, and I did less quilting. Here's how I made it:

First, I measured my tablet and figured out how much fabric I'd need. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, measures about 9 in x 7 in, so I knew I needed two pieces of fabric that were at least 11 in x 17 in to make the pouch, flap and allow for the seams.

Luckily for me, fat quarters (used in quilting) measure 18 in x 21 in, and they were on sale for $1 each at Joann Fabrics!! I also picked up some batting and velcro squares for this project. So for $9.06, I got everything I needed to make this case!


I used the whole 21 inches on the long side of the fat quarters, and then I cut the width down to just over 11 inches (to allow for an inch on each side of my tablet). So I cut the two fat quarters and the batting into 21 in x 11 in rectangles.


The first sewing step required attaching the batting to the outside fabric. I sewed three straight lines to quilt the outside fabric of the case. I made a line about once every three inches.


Then I sewed on the lining by putting right sides together and sewing around the edges, leaving a 2 inch opening to turn it out. One thing that One Shabby Chick suggests (and I forgot to do, regrettably, so don't follow my lead...) is to reinforce the beginning and ending of the opening so that the stitching doesn't tear as you turn it out.


After sewing around the edges and leaving that opening, I trimmed the corners and then turned the piece right side out. The next step is to iron on both sides and then pin and sew around the entire piece with a very small seam.


Once I'd sewn around the edge, I measured how far I should fold up the bottom. Here I used the tablet to measure it, but it was about 7 inches, maybe a little bit more. Then I should have placed the velcro squares for the closure of the case. Instead, I sewed up the sides right away and then struggled to sew on the squares. So, if you're making this yourself, measure where the velcro should go by folding down the flap and sew around the velcro first, then sew up the sides of the case to finish the pouch :)



This was a pretty simple project, and I am so pleased with the way it turn out! I had wanted a case for my tablet - I wanted something cute and simple and not too expensive. I'm so glad I remembered the tutorial I pinned waaay back, and that I could adjust it to make my own case!



#IntelTablets

No comments:

Post a Comment